Saturday, January 3, 2015

Be excellent to yourself-- thank you Bill and Ted

I sit here typing while I watch Lord of the Rings and wait for a dozen cupcakes to finish baking in the oven. It is something that I haven't done in a very long time.

2014 was a very long year for me. I was getting adjusted to being a mom, maintaining a full-time job, and still trying to write a marketable book. I fell like I was always trying to be something, like the entire year I was constantly juggling hats. I like hats, but this was more dress up than accessorizing.

So in 2015, I don't want to play dress up anymore. I just want to be me. Me as a mom. Me as a worker. Me as a writer. I think i'm okay with not having everything my kid eats be organic and homemade. I think I'm okay with not checking my emails on the weekends. And I am really ready to write the book that has been speaking to me for the past few months. Something funny, something scary and something completely off the wall.

Last year these posts were about the journey, were about writing heroes and living heroically. So this year, I think this year is going to be about authenticity. Authentic to ourselves, authentic to our characters. We are going to get down to the nitty, gritty, truth of it all and be better us's, uses, us-s. And maybe learn some grammar.

Sound like a plan?

Here's to an authentic new year,
Amanda Arista

---------------------------------------------
Amanda Arista
www.amandaarista.com

2 comments:

Helen Lowe said...

I loved the Year of Living Heroically, Amanda--and am totally on board for an authentic 2015. I would really love to see that book that is "funny...scary and something completely off the wall." But you have a lot of important balls in the air so just when you're ready. That's the great thing about stories: they are patient!

Nicole Murphy said...

Wow - what a year you've had Amanda. Here's hoping for a fabulously authentic 2015 for you.