Sunday, November 14, 2010

Gifts

Today is my birthday, and I've been busy enjoying it. :-) I'm not sure why, but this year seems different than the *cough, cough* or so years before it - this year I'm really focusing on how lucky I am to be *cough, cough* years old, and doing what I love to do.

Writing is a dream for many people, but it's a dream that came true for me. Not only do I get to make up stories for a living, I get the chance to live out loud by sharing those stories with the world. I've met so many interesting and fascinating people in my role as an author; I've made many new friends and reconnected with some old ones, and I've been countlessly touched by the kindness of strangers who write to tell me how I've touched them, too.

Look at this cool birthday graphic sent to me by Justine, one of my readers; it makes me smile every time I look at it, because I know it was designed with my particular brand of quirkiness in mind!  This graphic would never have been made if Justine weren't a reader and I weren't a writer, and what a shame that would be!  (Thanks, Justine - it's adorable.)

Bottom line, I'm a very lucky woman, and today I'm making sure that I savor it, and appreciate it.  Life isn't always kind; I've had my share of tragedies and heartaches.  But today, on my birthday, I want to say "thank you" to those who make me smile, to those who helped me along the way, to those who let me into their lives through words on a page.

Take a minute and think about what gifts you have in your life, whether it's friends, family or just the astounding ability to cook, clean, work and multi-task without losing your mind.  :)

Today's my birthday, and that's what I'm doing.

16 comments:

Helen Lowe said...

Happy Birthday, Terri---I can't say more, am off to do some of that writing! :-)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you finally reached 21. :) Have a great day!

Terri Garey said...

I like the way you think, Melissa! :-)

Write like the wind, Helen!

Patricia JL said...

Happy Birthday fellow scorpio!

Barbara E. said...

Happy Birthday Terri ~ hope you have a fabulous day.

Abby Minard said...

Happy Birthday! Savor the moment, and have a wonderful day!

Book Chatter Cath said...

Hope you have a great birthday and get spoilt by the loved ones in your life ♥

Tracey O'Hara said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. How wonderful - a scorpio - I knew there was a reason we got along so well. Have a great day - and I have been 21 several times myself :)

Terri Garey said...

Hail, my fellow Scorps! :-)

I've had a lovely day... just got back from seeing Denzel Washington and Chris Pine in UNSTOPPABLE... wow! Very intense (including Chris's blue eyes!)

Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone!

GB said...

Happy Birthday, Terri!

My Life With Books - Jennifer K Jovus said...

Happy Birthday!

Martha Lawson said...

Happy, happy birthday, Terri!!

Juliana Stone said...

Happy Birthday lady!

Sharon S. said...

Love the graphic :) Sounds like you had a good day.

Jeremy said...

Happy Birthday! I really like your post it was beautifly written.

Merrie Destefano said...

Happy Birthday, Terri!! I hope you had a super day. And that graphic made by one of your readers was so cool.
*big hugs*